Leukotriene modifiers are long-term asthma control medications. They reduce swelling inside the airways and relax smooth muscles around the airways. Leukotriene modifiers are available as pills and liquids. They are effective at improving asthma symptoms and lung function, but not to the same extent as inhaled steroids.
Common leukotriene modifiers include:
- Accolate® (zafirlukast)
- Singulair® (montelukast)
- Zyflo® (zileuton)
- Reduces inflammation inside the airways
- Relaxes the smooth muscles around the airways
- Available as pills, syrup
- Prescribed to take 1-2 times every day
- Can interact with other medicines
This information has been approved by Ronina Covar, MD and Ann Mullen, RN, MSN, CNS, AE-C (December, 2012).